Saturday, August 26, 2006

Wife Swap Rant...

Why I tune into this show when they have a family of home schoolers is beyond me because it does nothing but piss me off. Of all the home schoolers I know and have known, NONE have locked their children up from the world and I've known people on all sides (meaning from the fundamentalist to the radical non-christian unschooler). I'm sure that the public is well aware that Wife Swap and other 'reality shows' arrange shows in a way that will stir up controversy (which apparently people love) but home schoolers already have a negative stereotype due to ignorance on the part of opponents. Far be it for Wife Swap, to focus on home schoolers who actually get their children out, whose children are happy and getting along, whose children are taken to visit friends and have friends visit, who are in an activity or two, etc. However, it wouldn't stir ratings when they show how the majority of us are, despite what homeschooling philosphy or style the home educating family is using. Sadly, they will continue to portray the extremist homeschoolers and therefore continue feed the stereotype that that is how the majority of homeschoolers are.

Reality shows, love em' or hate em', are no where close to being reality. In reality, we don't swap spouses (well unless you're swingers), aren't put on islands for 31 days with complete strangers, don't cross countries with no money, don't have four women dating one guy the same night at the same time, etc. I cannot stand reality shows but just flicking through the channels gives me enough information to make a rational judgement...they are garbage. Everytime I have ever stopped on one, I find myself wishing that I could get those wasted minutes back.

1 comment:

stargazincdesign said...

http://www.online4love.com is the primary way my husband and I meet likeminded "friends with benefits." There's no uncomfortable wondering if you ought to approach someone, you already know upfront when you meet them, and it is definitely worth the extra cost of becoming silver/gold imo, so you can exchange notes or pics before meeting and make sure its a good fit.

My hubby is str8 and I am bi and we have had no problem finding partners on online4love.com. We've had fun sex with lots of single men, single women and full swap couples that we met on O4L. And yes, I'm real, and no, I don't work for O4L or think they're perfect (they can be pricey and they goober up email sometimes,) but I think they're the best thing going by far for meeting other people who just want to have sex without strings!