Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Park and WildLife Sanctuary

Today we went to a park just a few minutes away from home to feed the ducks and birds, but we went a little bit too late because there were few around and when we threw a couple of test pieces, the Seagulls didn't bother. Before we went there though the kids wanted to get snack from the store with their money. I just sat back and watched as they estimated the total amounts in their head, how they interacted with the clerk, etc.... their life skills are just fine. Brooke's total was $2.99 and she gently counted out one quarter at a time in the clerk's hand until she had counted out three dollars, and gave him a polite 'thank you' when he handed the change back to her. Zak had so much junk and only had out $4 and I asked, "Son, are you sure you have that right?" With a slight bit of a 'sigh' he was like, "Yes Mom, I have enough, I estimated everything out." He was right. :-)

At the park the children enjoyed their food and drinks and swang for awhile, however, I wasn't that comfortable. An older teen was there (he had a vehicle) and he had a toy shotgun that he aimed at many things. First I thought that it was just a little strange but it was when he went to the car that I got nervous. I'm a firm believer in motherly instincts and let me tell you, mine went into overdrive. He placed the toy gun down but then picked up a big bag and reached inside, he then pulled out a handgun that did not look like a toy. He studied it a moment then placed it in his bag and walked away from the car while leaving the hatch open. I quietly walked over to the children and said that we need to leave. I should've called the police but I was just bothered so much that it didn't cross my mind. The toy gun had an orange tip, what he pulled out of his bag did not have a tip. I do not feel bad about my intuitions at all and am glad that we left the park, you just never know these days.

We went home and had lunch and then about an hour and a half later we went to the Wildlife Sanctuary just over the bridge from our home. We had a wonderful time! Mourning Doves followed us everywhere and allowed us to hold them and they really loved to get at our toes. The white-tailed deer was out and about and the kids fed him with leaves around the area. We watched Pelicans fly around and stare at us with their beautiful eyes, and some geese were busy making a ton of noise. Two mallard ducks wandered around in freedom one of which had a broken wing.

I think it is just so awesome that there are organizations out there who take care of animals. Last month when we visited Brooke donated $15 and they sent her a handwritten thank you note. Zak loves the sanctuary too, and we've decided to regularly frequent and support this little gem of a place. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they wanted to volunteer their time someday when they reach the right age. However, at this moment, the sanctuary (for liability purposes) doesn't allow those under the age of 16 to volunteer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky parent you are to have such beautiful children. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your schooling.
You also sound like a beautiful woman. How come there are no pictures of you?