Monday, August 28, 2006

Morning at the Park and Swimming to Cool Off and Zak Bakes

We've decided to postpone our lessons until the afternoon because it is so very hot and humid lately and so this morning, we headed over to the new Perdido Key Kids Park. Whew! It mattered not that we went early it was still extremely hot and humid but not nearly as bad as it gets in the afternoon. Thankfully, we brought plenty of water. The children and I played Hide-n-Seek and they wore me out but we had a great time. After about an hour we headed back home for some fun in the pool. Our pool time consisted of throwing a football, jumping into the water all at the same time, noodle races, and more.

After we ate lunch the children went ahead with their lessons. They continually amaze me with their ability to learn all the while I keep in mind "not to step in as teacher, they ARE capable of learning on their own". Rarely am I called upon to answer a question and we do enjoy reading aloud together from some of their readings. It is the being there that is important but let me tell you...from reading with them and/or scanning their quality books to be read, I have learned more than I ever did in all of my schooled years. I'm thankful to be able to give my children a liberal education, one that will prepare them for college (should they desire to go)and one that puts them in direct contact with living books and living ideas.

Later that early afternoon Zachary made his first batch of brownies (no help from me whatsoever). :-) It was funny because he had chocolate all over his fingers and then the spoon and of course the beaters. He called his sister out to 'clean' off the spoon and beaters and I kid you not...I'm surprised we had brownies at all because I think they ate more than Zak put in the pan...LOL But man, they were delicious! Way to go Zak!




The above pictures were taken Saturday at the same park by DH. And what a fabulous family day that was... :-)

No comments: